Homestead's ELD program offers special instruction for students learning English as a second language. Our curriculum is geared towards the new ELD Standards, which are based on the Common Core Standards. The ELD program prepares students with an academic foundation that contributes to lasting student achievement. ELD teachers use various second language acquisition strategies to develop English vocabulary and comprehension skills. Instruction in the ELD classroom is conducted in English. ELD students have access to the same grade level core curriculum and textbooks that mainstream students receive. ELD students participate in all of the same school activities as their grade level peers in the regular program.
Our ELD 1 and ELD 2 students participate in a program called The Ambassadors Program, which helps EL students with the social aspects of high school and at the same time, helps with their communication skills.
The goals of the ELD program are for our English Learners to:
- Attain English Proficiency
- Achieve high levels in core academic subjects
- Meet ELD Standards, which are based on the Common Core Standards
- Understand and respect other’s cultures, traditions and values.
- Develop a positive attitude and maintain acceptable standards of conduct and citizenship in everything that they do.